I am supposed to be done with the semester by this point. Instead, I find myself working on two papers and a revision of a third. Or more accurately, I find myself avoiding working on them. It's been three days since I touched them, almost four. Friday was excusable; I had two graduation ceremonies to attend, plus a party for my cousin + extended family. (I was feeling guilty, so I did some homework in the parking lot before going into the restaurant.) Saturday there was a party for two Dominican brothers' profession of Solemn Vows, followed by an extended discussion on the Virtues and their precise differentiation. From there I got a ride from my dad's cousin Peggy down to Santa Clara to visit some more relatives. So I got back pretty late, and got no homework done that day. Then on Sunday we had a very long and lively brunch and discussion after Church, after which I took an extended nap, waking up just in time for dinner. Again, no homework that day. Then Monday was Memorial Day, and, what do you know, more parties. So no homework. . . .
Does anyone else see a problem with this?
Ideally, I would have been all done by Friday so that I could participate in the parties in a spirit of celebration instead of feeling guilty. But many of them I felt obligated to go to (commencement, family stuff, Solemn Vows), and the others I went to because I wasn't in much of a homework mood. I probably could have gotten some stuff done, but it was already 1:30 and I'd been trying to get into the mood for four hours. (On the plus side, I got some vacuuming and laundry done!) Only at sundown did I start working on my papers.
And today? I slept in until 11:00, did more laundry, worked on a paper for about 45 minutes, and then left for mass at 4:30. Then after Mass I practiced organ, then went to the end-of-year party with the Theology of the Body group. I had to leave early from that, because I also had an audition with Pan Theater, an improv group in Oakland. I think I did pretty well, but so did the majority of the other people there. It'll be interesting to see if I get in. Even if not, it was fun, and a great creative outlet. I (re)discovered that acting, music, and the performance arts in general, can be a great confidence-builder, as you discover what you are capable of doing and being. Of course, they can also be a great confidence-destroyer, if you take them too seriously. It's no surprise that most actors and musicians have very complex personalities. I like them :) I think they can come off as more "real" than other people: perhaps this is because they put so much of themselves into their performance, they are used to not hiding anything.
Oh, the lessons to be learned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment